Scion has produced a further smoke model forecast for Tuesday (12th) through to Thursday (14th Feb.) for the Pigeon Valley forest fire near Wakefield, Nelson.
Despite the fire being contained, large areas of fire activity and smouldering remain. Smoke hazard therefore remains medium to high over the next few days.
• Of high importance: High smoke hazard is predicted for Redwood Valley, Richmond, Nelson City, Maitai, Mapua, Brightwater and Wakefield during the early morning of Tuesday, 12th February. The Nelson airport may be affected by visibility impacts.
• Of high importance: High smoke hazard is again predicted for Mapua, Richmond and Nelson City (including the airport) on Thursday morning, 14th February, if fire activity and/or smouldering persists.
• Later on Tuesday morning and into the early afternoon smoke may reach Havelock, Renwick, Blenheim and Seddon.
• Smoke hazard is possible at Redwood Valley and Mapua on Wednesday morning.
• A medium smoke hazard is predicted for Wakefield, the Abel Tasman tourist areas, Mapua, Richmond and Nelson City (including the airport) on Wednesday afternoon.
• Narrow valleys are more vulnerable to smoke impacts on visibility (roads) and health.
In the images and video, the green colour depicts very light, yellow light, orange medium, and purple heavy smoke impacts. Concentrations in orange and purple indicate potential for unhealthy levels of smoke. People with asthma or other breathing conditions may be most severely affected, and should avoid exposure where possible by staying indoors with windows and doors closed.