An updated smoke forecast has been produced for the Pigeon Valley fire near Nelson showing predicted smoke dispersion for today (Friday 8th) and tomorrow (Saturday 9th).
This shows potential, if fire activity continues, for smoke hazard to impact Motueka and Nelson city, including Nelson airport.
With the wind forecast to change from southerly to more northerly, smoke also has the potential to spread into Marlborough, even possibly reaching Blenheim, from around midday Friday.
Key points from the forecast include:
• Of high importance: If fire activity remains active, smoke hazards are predicted to be very high in Nelson City, Motueka and surrounds throughout Friday and Saturday.
• Of high importance: Smoke is predicted to reach Nelson Airport around midday on Friday, and the risk of smoke hazard there will remain high throughout Friday night and Saturday morning.
• Of high importance: Due to changing wind conditions, smoke is predicted to impact large areas in the Nelson and Marlborough regions throughout Friday.
• Under active fire conditions, smoke can potentially cause a hazard in Blenheim on Saturday morning (5 am onwards).
• There is potential for smoke to impact highways, particularly in the early mornings and evenings.
• Narrow valleys are especially vulnerable to smoke impacts on visibility (roads) and health.